We live in a world that is so divided. What is God calling us to do? More than anything, He is calling us to pray. I would love for you to be praying these prayers with me:
1. Father, glorify Yourself through this election and protect our country.
1 Timothy 2:1-2: “I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.”
1 Peter 2:17: “Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.”
Romans 13:1: “Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.”
Psalm 2:10-11: “Therefore, you kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth. Serve the LORD with fear and celebrate his rule with trembling.”
- Pray for voting rights to be upheld in this upcoming election: for a removal of barriers, for every ballot to be counted, for poll workers/places to be protected, for safeguards from fraud.
- Pray for the leadership in this country, at every level, from local to national, that we would elect leaders who honor God, use power rightly, and care for the vulnerable.
- Pray for the outcome of the election to be peaceful.
- Pray for healing in our country from stark divisions, vitriol, and hatred.
2. Father, use us, your church, in this unique time in our country’s history!
Matthew 28:18-20: “And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, ‘All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.’” Amen.
- Pray that God would give us unique and powerful opportunities to make disciples and extend His kingdom (both here and through our missionaries).
- Pray that as we make disciples we would understand the authority that Jesus has and that His presence is always with us, even to the end of the age.
3. Father, pour out your Spirit on us and move us forward together!
2 Chronicles 7:14: “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”
1 Peter 5:6-7: “Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.”
- Pray for revival in our church, our community and our nation.
- Pray for repentance and forgiveness as we continue to realize the idols in our hearts.
- Pray for humility and the capacity to hear the voice of the Spirit within us and within others.
4. Father, heal our country during this pandemic.
1 Peter 5:10: “But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.”
- Pray for all those who are sick, and those who face the ongoing health challenges of having contracted the virus.
- Pray for all who are grieving the loss of loved ones.
- Pray for all our frontline workers, medical workers, scientists, and first responders.
- Pray for all those who have experienced economic hardship through this time.
- Pray for the vulnerable, the elderly, and people with disabilities.
- Pray for all the isolated, overwhelmed, and those struggling with mental health.
5. Father, heal me and my family and direct us to Your heart.
Hebrews 4:14-16: “Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”
- Pray for your own needs, that God would be gracious to grant you what you need to keep persisting in these times.
- Pray for healing for physical ailments, mental health struggles, emotional trauma, etc.
- Pray for friends and family who are facing trials or difficult circumstances.
- Pray for joy and love to come out of your thoughts, attitudes and actions during these challenging times.